Last item for navigation

Dual Enrollment

(para traducir esta página al español, haga clic en "Traducir" en el parte superior de este página)

Dual Enrollment allows students to earn free college credit (technical and academic) while earning a high school diploma.

>>Fill out the 2021-2022 Advanced Academics (Dual Enrollment/Advanced Placement) Interest Form by January 22, 2021:  CLICK HERE

PDF icon   PDF of Advanced Academics (Dual Enrollment and AP/Advanced Placement) Presentation from December 8, 2020.
Scroll down for text of presentation PDF.


GPTC Dual Enrollment Information Sessions:

GPTC will be hosting virtual office hours to answer questions about all things Dual Enrollment, for high school students, parents/guardians, and school staff.

•  March 3, 2021, 12 p.m. - 1 p.m., CLICK HERE
or go to

•  March 10, 2021, 12 p.m. - 1 p.m., CLICK HERE
or go to

•  March 15, 2021, 6 p.m., GPTC is experiencing technical difficulties; another session will be held March 29, 2021; please contact Amanda Mullinax at for more information.
CLICK HERE or go to

•  March 17, 2021, 12 p.m. - 1 p.m., CLICK HERE
or go to

•  March 29, 2021, 6 p.m., CLICK HERE
or go to

•  May 10, 2021, 6 p.m., CLICK HERE
or go to

•  May 17, 2021, 6 p.m., CLICK HERE
or go to

For more information, contact

Clayton State University Dual Enrollment Virtual Information Session:

•  March 15, 2021, 5:30 p.m.
For more info, contact


GPTC - January 11, 2021
Point University - January 6, 2021

For GPTC questions, contact Ms. Mullinax at

For Point University questions, contact Ms. Carroll at

For Clayton State University questions, contact Ms. Miles at

For general Dual Enrollment questions, contact Mrs. Hardy at

How to Apply for Dual Enrollment

Students interested in participating in Rockdale County’s Dual Enrollment program for 2021-2022 MUST complete Steps 1-6 by May 1, 2021.

Step 1:  Complete the online DE Interest Form linked here: CLICK HERE

Step 2:  Decide which college you want to attend for DE.  If you want to take your DE classes at RCA then you will choose either:
-    Ga. Piedmont Technical College
-    Point University
-    Clayton State University

Step 3:  Meet with your home school counselor for advisement and to verify eligibility for Dual Enrollment.  Complete the DE Scheduling form with your counselor.  You will be assigned placeholders in DE classes pending your college acceptance.

Step 4:  Apply to the college and complete and submit all required documentation to the college per their admission procedures.  You must meet all the admission requirements at the college. It is the responsibility of the student to submit all documents to the college. The deadline to apply for DE is May 1, 2021.  Please note that May 1, 2021 is the RCPS deadline regardless of the college deadlines.  You must have submitted your college materials by this deadline to participate in DE for the following year.

Step 5:  Complete the required Dual Enrollment Funding application here:  
Student and parent must complete the application prior to being registered for DE classes.

Step 6:  Student and Parent Complete the RCPS DE Contract (CLICK HERE) for RCPS Dual Enrollment Contract and email to by May 1, 2021.

Important Notes:
-    Before school starts next year, you must have been accepted at the college to take the DE classes.
-    If you are attending a college that does not offer classes at RCA then it is your responsibility to apply and register at the college by the stated deadlines.

Useful Links

RCPS Advanced Academics (Dual Enrollment and AP) presentation (PDF) (same information posted below on this page)

RCPS Dual Enrollment Contract (PDF) (required for all RCPS Dual Enrollment students)

Dual Enrollment at RCA
•  GPTC information
•  GPTC steps to apply (PDF) (RTF)
•  Point University
Clayton State University
For more information, contact:
Ga. Piedmont Technical College - Amanda Mullinax ,
Point University - Terri Carroll,
Clayton State University - Leah Miles,

Dual Enrollment Online
•  Georgia Military College information
•  Georgia Military College Application Guide

Georgia Department of Education - Dual Enrollment information
Georgia Department of Education - Dual Enrollment, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Georgia Department of Education - Brochure for Families (PDF)  (RTF)

•  How to submit a funding application (PDF)  (RTF)

•  Need Accuplacer Testing during the COVID-19 closure? CLICK HERE for information from Georgia Piedmont Technical College on exempting the Accuplacer test or taking the Accuplacer test remotely.
(PDF) (RTF - Informacion en Espanol)

•  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Georgia's changes to Dual Enrollment, starting Summer 2020:

•  For more information, contact:
Ga. Piedmont Technical College - Amanda Mullinax,
Point University - Terri Carroll,
Clayton State University - Leah Miles,
- Karen Hardy,

Advanced Academics in RCPS (Dual Enrollment and AP)

PDF icon  RCPS AP and Dual Enrollment presentation (CLICK HERE for PDF) on December 8, 2020 by Karen Hardy, RCPS College and Career Specialist, and Ranyatta Roland, RCPS Education Assessment Coordinator; same information below.


What is Dual Enrollment?: 
A program that allows high school students to earn college credit while also earning a high school diploma.
The program is administered by the Georgia Student Finance Commission.
Students may enroll in a maximum 15 semester hours for 3 semesters per year.
Academic and technical classes are available.
Students may attend full- or part-time.
Available at Georgia public, private, and technical colleges.

What costs are covered?
Mandatory Fees
***Some courses may have additional fees outside of mandatory college fees that may not be covered.

Who is eligible?:

Per HB 444, effective Summer 2020: only 11th and 12th graders may take approved Dual Enrollment  academic courses.
10th graders may enroll in approved Career, Technical and Agricultural Education courses at a Technical College only.
10th graders who have a minimum SAT score of 1200 or Minimum ACT score of 26 in a single test administration, may enroll in any approved Dual Enrollment courses.
Students in the 9th grade are not eligible to participate in the DE funding program.
For complete eligibility and DE program information, go here: 

Funding Caps: How many credit hours will be paid by funding?
The Dual Enrollment Funding Cap is 30 semester hours.
This Funding Cap is a hard cap based on hours paid by the Dual Enrollment Funding Program.
All first-time students, as of Summer 2020 and beyond, are subject to the DE Funding Cap.
No funding for repeat classes.
All DE students must create a profile on and then students and parents must complete the funding application. This application is current for 1 academic year. Courses will be approved by the high school and the college. Click here for a tutorial.

Why Participate?
Students are introduced to college level work.
Expanded course offerings.
Opportunities to explore potential careers.
Possible early college graduation and entry into the workforce.
A full high school credit is earned for a 3-hour college course.
Courses are weighted at .5 for the HOPE GPA.
No EOC or AP exams (this is subject to change for 2021-2022).
Studies show that students who participate in Dual Enrollment show an increased likelihood of:
- General academic achievement in high school,
- Attendance,
- College readiness,
- College access and enrollment,
- Credit accumulation,
- College degree attainment.

Full Disclosure: Are there any possible disadvantages?
Courses are challenging and taught by college professors who may not know/care that a student is in high school.
Professors will only communicate with the student - not parents.
Because most courses are worth a full credit, grades count "double" for one semester – great for a good grade but harmful for a bad grade!
Credit transfer is not a guarantee – you must do research!
Competitive colleges may not consider Dual Enrollment as rigorous as AP courses.

Eligibility vs. Readiness - Look beyond GPA and standardized test scores!
Is self-motivated (will communicate with the professor)
Takes Initiative
Has good time management skills
Meets deadlines and avoids procrastination.

Easily Overwhelmed
Unwilling to ask for help
Over-reliance on parents
Poor time management skills

What do some DE instructors at RCA want you to know?
Students will be given a syllabus at the beginning of the semester – the expectation is to READ it and to keep up with due dates and test dates. Keep an agenda or calendar.
Independent reading and work at home is expected.  There is more "outside of class" work.
Attendance is important!
Classes move at a faster pace.
Students should be independent learners, self-starters and organized.  They must advocate for themselves.
There are no DE classes on Fridays, except labs for science courses.
Professors do not communicate with parents.  There are no parent/teacher conferences.
Grades are not available on Infinite Campus.  Grades are only available through the student's Learning Management System.  Parent/student communication is key.
Students will receive communication from the college via email.  They need to check their email,  READ the email, and follow through.

Bottom Line – Weigh all factors and make the best decision for your student!

College Credits and Grades – How does that work?
1.   The College/University issues the grades – NOT the high school.
2.  The grades count for both high school AND college credit.
3.  Most courses count as a full high school credit and are weighted courses.
4.  These are college credits and thus begin a student’s college transcript.
5.  Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the college and be progressing towards on-time high school graduation.  
6.   Many colleges require a “C” or better for college credit and to progress to the next course. 
7.  Colleges provide letter grades and RCPS will convert to a numerical grade.  A=95  B=85  C=77  D=P  F=60 .
8.   Colleges will be on a different academic calendar so start/end dates and schedule change and withdrawal dates WILL NOT align to the high school calendar and very likely will have consequences to student’s schedule and grade.

2 Options for Dual Enrollment
•  Meet traditional high school graduation requirements through a combination of high school courses and Dual Enrollment courses for a minimum of 24 credits.

OPTION B with Technical Colleges:

Meet high school graduation requirements by completing:
•  9 high school course requirements (2 English, 2 Math, 2 Science, 2 Social Studies, PE/Health) 
•  Any Associate degree OR
•  Any technical college diploma program OR
•  At least two technical college certificate of credit (TCC) programs in at least one specific career pathway. The TCSG will annually identify eligible programs of study

Option B Programs as approved by the Georgia Legislature and the TCSG Courses
•  Computer Programming
•  Cybersecurity
•  Manufacturing
•  Dental Assisting
•  Avionics Technology
•  Aircraft Structural Technology
•  Welding

WELDING continued
•  2 TCC’s can be completed in 1 year
•  6 Welding courses and technical English and Math
•  Requires a full day on B days at RCA

Typical Dual Enrollment Academic Courses at RCA
Advanced Composition
American Literature
Public Speaking
College Algebra, Statistics, Precalculus, Calculus
American Government
U.S. History
Anatomy and Physiology
Psychology, Sociology

Dual Enrollment technical course options at RCA:
•  911 Operator
•  EMT (Emergency Medical Technician)
•  Welding
•  Fire
•  Cosmetology Your one-stop shop
All DE students must create an account on
Dual Enrollment:
Participating colleges and universities:
Course directory:
Course Transfer information:

Step 1: Complete the online DE Interest Form linked here: 
Step 2:  Decide which college you want to attend for DE.  If you want to take your DE classes at RCA then you will choose either:
Ga. Piedmont Technical College
Point University
Clayton State University
Step 3: Meet with your home school counselor for advisement and to verify eligibility for Dual Enrollment.  Complete the DE Scheduling form with your counselor.  You will be assigned placeholders in DE classes pending your college acceptance.
Step 4: Apply to the college and complete and submit all required documentation to the college per their admission procedures.  You must meet all the admission requirements at the college. It is the responsibility of the student to submit all documents to the college. The deadline to apply for DE is May 1.  Please note that May 1 is RCPS’ deadline regardless of the college deadlines.  You must have submitted your college materials by this deadline to participate in DE for the following year.
Step 5: Complete the required Dual Enrollment Funding application here:   Student and parent must complete the application prior to being registered for DE classes.
Step 6: Student and Parent Complete the RCPS DE Contract  (Click here for RCPS Dual Enrollment Contract PDF) and email to by May 1, 2021.
Important Notes!
Before school starts next year, you must have been accepted at the college to take the DE classes.
If you are attending a college that does not offer classes at RCA then it is your responsibility to apply and register at the college by the stated deadlines.

Being "registered" into a Dual Enrollment class at RCA during the high school registration process is only an unofficial placeholder in that class.  A student is not officially registered into the class until the student has been accepted and registered by the COLLEGE!
It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to be accepted and registered at the college.

Important Information for IEP/504 Students
•  Are students with disabilities required to meet the admission criteria? Yes. Admission criteria and prerequisite courses are determined by the individual postsecondary institution.
•  Do accommodations listed in the student’s IEP apply to college classes? No. Reasonable accommodations that allow equal access will be determined by the college. Students as well as parents must understand that not all accommodations, services and/or supports available at high school will be deemed necessary at the college level.
•  Does the IEP team make decisions about accommodations provided in the college classes? No. The IEP plays an important role in recommendations and documentation for requested accommodations but the decision rests with the receiving college.
•  How will compliance with Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) be addressed in dual enrollment programs? Services will be covered by 504/ADA. IDEA requirement for a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) do not apply to the postsecondary level. Services described in the IEP would not be ensured with college course work completed through dual enrollment. The student would continue to receive accommodations, services and supports outlined in the IEP for all high school course work.
•  How are accommodations secured for dual enrollment courses? The student must: 
- Apply to the Office of Disability Services at the college to self-identify the disability 
- Request accommodations and provide necessary supporting documentation 
- Follow other required steps as identified by the postsecondary institution
-  The special education case manager should assist the student and family in this process as a transition service.
•  If a student requires interpreter services or text in alternate format, does the college provide the services or does the high school? The college is responsible for providing accommodations for the college class.
•  Is the student with a disability held to the same grade requirements as other students?  Yes. Students with disabilities will be required to meet the same academic and behavioral standards.

A Few Final Notes...
Dual Enrollment is an incredible opportunity but does require the right fit between the student and the program.
Your counselor is here to advise and support the Dual Enrollment participation process, but it is important to remember that the student will be an independent college student while still in high school and must meet the same expectations as an undergraduate student.
It is the student's responsibility to troubleshoot on any issues with admissions, acceptance, textbooks, a missed quiz, etc.
All courses taken through Dual Enrollment require the counselor's approval.
Per federal law, college personnel cannot and will not communicate with parents regarding their child, regardless of the student's age or dependency status.  All communication is done with the student.

Now let’s hear from the colleges!
Point University
Dual Enrollment

Founded in 1937, Point University is a private, four-year liberal arts institution that educates students to influence culture for Christ in all spheres of life. The University provides a broad, comprehensive curriculum designed to prepare students for their chosen professions.
Our campus is located in West Point, Ga.  

If you would like to be a Dual Enrollment Student with Point University, the requirements are as follows:
3.0 GPA
You must be a rising Junior or Senior.
Complete our online application at
Complete our Advisement Agreement (It will be emailed to you once you complete our online application).
Complete your GSFC funding application via the gafutures website at  If you do not already have an account you will need to create one.

Contact Information
Ms. Felicia Demps
Director of Dual Credit Enrollment
678-593-3110 Office
470-755-9474 Cell

Ms. Arlene James
Dual Credit Enrollment Coordinator
678-593-3106 Office
404-416-4654 Cell

Georgia Piedmont Technical College
Dual Enrollment

What is Dual Enrollment?
Opportunity for eligible 10th-12th grade students to take college courses with little to no tuition costs and textbooks paid for.
Earn both high school and college credit at the same time.
Shorten time to obtain a college degree, diploma, or certificate.

Why Georgia Piedmont Technical College
Open Access Institution.  
Convenient locations and online learning.
Uniqueness of Hand-On-Training.
40 programs of study with hundreds of pathways.
28 core classes that transfer to the USG system.
Earning a Degree nearly debt free.
Articulation agreements with the University System of Georgia and several local and out of state.  colleges, making an easy transfer of credits.
Attend Georgia Piedmont Technical College for 1st two years and transfer to 4 year College or University.

Several Schools to choose from…
School of Business Information Systems
School of Education & Media
School of Health & Professional Services
School of Industrial Technologies
School of Public Safety & Security
Economic Development & Regional Transit and Transportation Center

Program Tracks:
Technical Certificate of Credit (TCC) - A certificate program is a collection of courses designed to get you career ready in a year or less.
Diplomas - Diploma programs generally take more time than a certificate program but less time than an associates degree. They can usually be completed in 1-2 years.
Associate Degrees (AAS) - An associate degree is a 2–year program that can be applied toward a 4 year bachelor’s degree or stand on its own.

Application Process for Dual Enrollment
Apply to GPTC
    Online application
    New student packet
    Test scores or transcripts
    2.5 High School GPA
    SAT, ACT, or PSAT
GA Futures
    Parent permission
Counselor approval
    Schedule in GA Futures


CSU Henry County Campus
401 E. Tomlinson Street, Suite 712
McDonough, GA 30253
Contact us at

Classes and Locations
Main Campus in Morrow
Academy for Advanced Studies – McDonough
Online (Asynchronous) & Virtual (Synchronous)
FALL 2021 – Rockdale Career Academy, Conyers

Admissions requirements:
Enrolled in the 11th or 12th grade
3.0 High School GPA (Academic Core)
Completed 2 units English & 2 units Math
Submit OFFICIAL high school transcript & any college transcripts

Through FALL semester 2021 test scores
are NOT required.  Students can be admitted “test optional”.  
However, the following scores are accepted:
SAT Composite score of 1050 minimum:
480 Reading
440 Math
ACT Composite score of 20 minimum:
17 English or Reading
17 Math
237 Reading     
260 Math     
4 WritePlacer   

Step 1:  Meet with your high school counselor.
Step 2:  Complete an admission’s application. Go to APPLY.
Step 3:  Submit official sealed or official electronic ( high school transcript in addition to any college transcripts.
Step 4:  Submit your funding application from the site.  Go to 2020-2021 Student Application for DE Funding.  
Step 5:  Complete orientation.  
Step 6:  Choose your schedule and meet with your CSU advisor to register for classes.

Henry County Campus  
APPLY TO CSU Dual Enrollment
THEN text OPT-IN to 678-466-6038
Receive Application Status Updates, Student info and more.


What will we cover?
What are Advanced Placement® Courses?
The Benefits
AP Exams
What Is It Like to Take AP Courses?
Next Steps: Help Your Child Make the Best Choices
Q & A

What are Advanced Placement Courses?
Advanced Placement (AP) courses are specially designed classes for secondary students seeking to earn college credit or take more challenging courses.  

Benefits for taking AP Courses
There are many benefits for taking AP courses. Students can:
1. challenge themselves academically;
2. set themselves apart in college admission; and/or
3. earn college credit, placement, or both with an exam score of 3 or higher.  
4. Research shows that students who have taken an AP Exam, even if they scored a 1 or 2, are more likely to graduate college on time than their academically matched peers who do not take an AP course or exam.  

Who Is Eligible?
Any student enrolled in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade at a public or private high school in Georgia.
Some courses have prerequisites, but many do not.
Students interested in obtaining college credit while still in high school.

Advanced Placement Support
Students have access to digital tools to help improve their performance all year long.  

Teacher Credentials for AP Courses
Teachers must design a syllabus that meets the curricular requirements of an AP course and receive authorization through the AP Course Audit process.

AP from a student’s perspective…
Katherine Jones, Heritage High School, Class of 2021: "Hi, my name is Katie. What interested me about AP classes was the more in-depth material and the chance to earn college credit. Being in AP has connected me with others with a similar work ethic and a similar mindset towards school. Learning and working with others is so much easier when I'm surrounded by people who care as much about school as I do. While AP can be hard at times, I feel like I'm really learning something in those classes, especially in a subject I already enjoy."
Amaya Roberson, Rockdale County High School, Rockdale Magnet Class of 2020: "Hi, my name is Amaya Roberson. I'm here to talk about how AP helped me prepare myself for college in terms of developing skills for a better mindset and better time management, thus letting me academically grow and mature in challenging situations, courses, and content that are very similar to college. With this previous AP experience, I'm already predisposed to have the necessary skills for time management, a better mind set, and critical thinking that help me succeed in college."

AP Exams are administered by schools worldwide on set dates in May each year.
Students can score between a 1 and a 5. (Every college sets its own policy about AP credit.)
Exams are typically 2-3 hours and include:
- Multiple-choice questions.
- Free-response items such as essays, problem solving, document-based questions and oral response.

AP® - Myths & Realities.
AP® courses are for students who always get good grades.
AP® courses are too stressful.
I don’t think I will score high enough on the AP® Exam to get college credit.
Taking AP® courses could hurt my GPA.
I can’t take AP® courses because no one has recommended me.
AP® courses are for any students who are academically prepared and motivated to take college-level courses.
It’s no secret that AP® courses are challenging, but the support you receive from your classmates and teachers can help you manage the workload.
You don’t need to score a 5 – many colleges grant credit and placement as well – based on a 3 or higher on an AP® Exam.
RCPS AP® courses are weighted on a 5.0 scale. Taking AP® courses shows colleges that you are willing to challenge yourself academically.
If you think you’re ready to take an AP® course, then you are ready to advocate for yourself – just talk to a teacher or counselor.

Possible RCPS Advanced Placement Course Offerings:
2D/3D Art
Art History                        
Computer Science A
Computer Science Principles
Language and Composition
Literature and Composition
Environmental Science
Human Geography
Music Theory
U.S. Government
US History  
World History.

What is the Process to Register for Advanced Placement Courses?
Attend Advanced Academics Night.
Research colleges of interest and determine if they accept AP® courses.
Advisement with high school counselor.
Conversation with parent/guardian.
Register for courses with high school.
Sign up for account on, and begin taking course!

Coursework is more challenging than traditional high school courses.
Credit transfer is not a guarantee – you must do research!
In order to be considered for college credit, students are required to take the AP Exam and score a 3 or above. (Every college sets its own policy about AP credit.)

Credit and Placement Opportunities
Each college and university has its own policies regarding AP credit and placement. The College Board offers information about AP credit at thousands of colleges and universities at .
Search by school name or alphabetically.
Data for each school includes a direct link to that school's webpage detailing AP credit and placement policies.
A statement from the college or university about its AP policy.

Where do I get more information on AP?
Guidance Counselors
AP® Teachers
School Administration

AP® vs. Dual Enrollment - Similarities
Both courses are weighted and will give students a GPA boost.
Both are dual credit programs which allow you to earn high school AND college credit while in the high school setting.
Both allow students the opportunity to access more rigorous course work while still in high school.
Both show colleges that the student is taking advantage of rigorous curriculum and challenging him/herself.
Teachers are experts in their field and offer high levels of academic instruction.
Both look great on college applications.

AP® vs. Dual Enrollment - Differences
AP students do not get the college credit(s) automatically.  AP students must pass the AP Exam in May with a minimum score (3, 4 or 5).
With AP, there is a cost associated with obtaining the college credit. ($94 per exam).  There is no cost associated with Dual Enrollment.
AP credits are recognized nationally, Dual Enrollment credits are not.
Dual Enrollment credits are based on the scale of partner college.
Dual Enrollment credit may not transfer to all colleges.
Most Dual Enrollment courses are semester while AP courses are year long.


FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. In order to be eligible for financial aid students must complete this online form. The FAFSA allows colleges you apply to, to have a better understanding of your family’s financial situation. Without the FAFSA you cannot receive federal funding.

• Social Security number (Alien Registration Number, if not a U.S. citizen)
• Federal income tax returns, W-2s and other records of money earned
• Bank statements and investment records (if applicable)
• Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
• An FSA ID to sign electronically
• Order Spanish FAFSA at

Create an FSA ID (both student and parent/guardian need one if the student is a dependent)
Once the FSA ID is created fill out the FAFSA for the 2021-2022 school year.
Log onto to get started!

Students who are not US Citizens are not eligible for the FAFSA. Though this is disappointing, do not get discouraged! Work 1-1 with your college adviser to find  resources to fund your college journey!
Rockdale - Ms.Okeke
Salem - Mr. Porter
Heritage - Ms. Harless


Thank you for your interest in Advanced Academics!  

Ranyatta Roland Education Assessment Coordinator

Karen Hardy, College and Career Specialist or 770-388-5677.